Sunday, June 17, 2012

Big (Tall) Ships, Big Crowds, Big Fun!

We were overdue for a trip to Baltimore's Inner Harbor and decided to go during the week-long Star-Spangled Sailabration event which is the national launch of the War of 1812 Bicentennial.  Couldn't have asked for better weather.  The day started out on the cloudy side, but ended up being mostly sunny in the low 80's with a light breeze that seemed to always kick up at just the right time.


The crowds were out in full force, but surprisingly everyone brought along their best manners.  There was no pushing or shoving and almost without exception everyone said "Excuse me" whenever they crossed the path of someone else.  It was so refreshing to be around that many polite people--even the "stroller people" (and most of you already know how I feel about them) were on their best behavior, keeping a safe distance from the heels and ankles of those in front of them. 


The lines for the tall ship tours and the water taxi were looong, but folks were chatty and friendly which made the waiting more tolerable.  And it was perfect for people-watching which is one of my favorite things to do.  I wasn't quick enough with my camera to catch the very large gentleman wearing the white rip-fringed tee shirt and rip-fringed denim shorts, but trust me, it was a fashion statement you don't see every day. 


I was lucky enough to be in line for the water taxi at Inner Harbor just when a military band started playing in the plaza and they were wonderful.  The water taxi is a great deal.  


For $12 you can ride all day until 11 p.m., you receive a pamphlet with discount coupons for area restaurants and shops, and it's a great way to cool off. 


The air show, featuring the Blue Angels, was supposed to take place between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.  There was a "subject to change" disclaimer on the schedule which was a pretty good indication that it wouldn't start on time.  And it didn't.  Fort McHenry was one of the suggested viewing areas for the air show but to get there, you had to take the water taxi to Fells Point and then transfer.  By the time I got to Fells Point, I decided that I didn't want to wait in the line again to get to Fort McHenry.  I love Fells Point, with its brick streets, interesting shops and all those fantastic pubs (100+)!  I spent a little time at Slainte on Thames Street which has a great atmosphere and a neat rooftop deck.  I would love to spend more time in Fells Point (so many pubs, so little time...) and also visit Fort McHenry, but I'll wait until a non-event weekend when the tourist count won't be quite so high.


Took the water taxi back to Inner Harbor and walked around a bit.  While waiting near the aquarium for the bus to pick us up, we were actually able to see the Blue Angels quite a few times.  Unfortunately, the batteries in both my camera AND phone had died by then, so I wasn't able to get any photos.   

Overall, another great Davis Day Trips!  







No comments:

Post a Comment